Call us: 01785 312000

Changes to benefits

If you are currently receiving benefits and you are of working age there are some major changes which will impact the amount of money you receive, and how this money will be paid in the future.

It is important to stress that most of the changes relate to people of working age, so if you are of pension age and receiving pension credit then at this stage you do not need to worry. We will of course keep you informed of any changes that may affect those of pensionable age going forward.

Universal Credit is coming to South Staffordshire 

If you live in South Staffordshire, are of working age and claim any of the following benefits, the way in which you receive benefits is due to change from September 2015. 

Universal Credit will replace:

• Housing Benefit

• Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance

• Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

• Income Support

• Child Tax Credit

• Working Tax Credit

What will be different?

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment for people in or out of work, which merges together some of the benefits and tax credits that you might be getting now. Instead of receiving individual benefit payments, you will receive one monthly payment towards your costs for housing, children and childcare, as well as support for disabled people and carers. 

If your Housing Benefit is currently paid direct to your landlord you will need to arrange to pay your rent yourself from the Universal Credit payment you’ll receive every month.

What should I do?

There are some things you can do now to begin preparing for Universal Credit

• Open a bank account

• Improve your internet skills (you will need to apply for and manage your Universal Credit on-line)

• Find out where you can access the internet if you don’t have this available at home

• Get support with budgeting your money

You can get information and advice on Universal Credit: 

• from the government’s Money Advice service HERE, or by calling them on  0300 500 5000 

• from South Staffordshire Council, HERE or by contacting them on 01902 696471 or benefits@sstaffs.gov.uk

• or you can contact us at SSHA on 01785 312000 or enquiries@ssha.co.uk and ask to speak to one of our welfare advisers. 

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) changes

From April 2013, DLA for working age people will change to Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

Who will this affect?

Working age customers currently claiming DLA and those who become eligible for support due to a disability.

Click here to read our leaflet about all of the benefit changes that are currently underway.
If after reading this, you have questions or are still unsure as to whether you will be affected please contact us on 01785 312125.