The parish of Perton has a long history with parts mentioned in the Domesday Book. Today, however, Perton is synonymous with the new village built on an old airfield which was last used in 1947. The land was owned by the Mander family who sold parcels of the land to various builders for development. Building began in 1974 and was completed in 1989.
Over 4,000 houses have been built here and the village has its own shops, 2 pubs, a library and a community centre. The shopping mall in the centre provides for local needs and the large Sainsburys draws people from a wide area.
It has a very pleasant semi-rural environment with myriads of trees and shrubs, open spaces, two beautiful man-made lakes and a recently created woodland walk.
There are good bus links to Wolverhampton.