Call us on

Mutual exchange

You might be able to ‘swap’ your home by exchanging tenancies with another SSHA tenant or tenants of another housing association/council. This tenancy swap is called a mutual exchange.

If you would like to consider mutual exchange, start by registering with Home Swapper.
This is a mutual exchange service exclusively for social housing tenants and it is free to use.

When you register, you will need to log that SSHA is your current landlord. We will need to give permission for a mutual exchange. The factors we take into consideration before giving permission for a mutual exchange are:

  • Whether either tenant is in rent arrears
  • Whether the property has been maintained in a satisfactory condition
  • Whether a home has been adapted for specific needs
  • Whether the exchange would lead to under-occupation or overcrowding
  • Whether anti social behaviour or other breaches of tenancy have occurred
  • The type of tenancies involved and whether they can legally be swapped

Applying for a tenancy transfer

If you are an SSHA tenant and want to move to one of our other homes in the area you can apply for a transfer.

Before you can complete a transfer your current home must be in a good condition. In the last two years SSHA spent £106,800 bringing empty homes up to standard. That is why we are being very clear about the condition that a home must reach before we can approve a transfer.

To find out more please take a look at our leaflet below.

PDF icon Tenancy transfer v1 FINAL.pdf493.45 KB