Call us on

Home » My Home » Leaseholders 0 » Home improvements and alterations

Home improvements and alterations

As a homeowner, you may want to carry out alterations and improvements to your home. You’re free to decorate and make cosmetic improvements to your home. This includes plastering, painting, putting up shelves, replacing kitchen cupboards and getting new appliances.  However, under the terms of your lease you must apply for SSHA's consent before commencing any other types of work.   

Some examples of the types of work that requires SSHA's consent are, but not limited to: 

  • Installing new windows (lease permitting) 

  • Replacing a boiler or central heating system  

  • Changing the existing internal layout 

  • Removing walls or creating a new opening 

  • Building an extension 

  • Structural changes or work to the outside of your home 

  • Anything that affects your water, gas or electric supplies 

  • Reconfiguring your kitchen or bathroom 

  • Fitting laminate, wood or tiled flooring 

Electrical works  

If you are requesting electrical work then it must be carried out by a minimum Part P approved contractor, registered with NICEIC / ELECSA. A certificate of install, issued on completion of the works, plus a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate must be sent to us within 28 days of completion. All works must be carried out in accordance with BS7671 IET Wiring Regulations 

Gas works  

If you are requesting gas works then it must be carried out by a Gas Safe Registered installer and you will need to provide details of their qualifications and relevant certification of the works once completed. 

Requesting permission

In order to obtain SSHA's consent to carry out works to your property, you will first need to complete the application form and provide us with any supporting documentation necessary. Please ensure that the contractor’s registration details are provided as we cannot grant permission without these details.  

The quickest way to apply is via our online application form for property alteration.  

Once we have received your application and supporting documents we will consider your request. Please allow 8 weeks for a response. It will be passed to our surveying team to review.  For certain requests we will make an instant decision, for others we may need to undertake an inspection. Should an inspection or further documents be requested this could increase the length of time it will take to provide you with consent to start works.  There are fees for surveyor inspections, and we will advise you of how much these are if required. 

We may not unreasonably refuse permission, however, this does depend on the terms of your lease.